BOOK: Hear the Beat, Feel the Music: Count, Clap and Tap Your Way to Remarkable Rhythm. Want to be that person who’s got rhythm? Want a better connection to your workout music? Want to enjoy music more? Get rhythm! The kindle will remain on sale for 99 cents (down from $4.99) until I get 10 reviews on Amazon. Please give me a review because I need reviews.
BOOK: Every Man’s Survival Guide to Ballroom Dancing. Tired of being a wallflower? Wishing that you weren’t afraid of a dance floor? Tired of getting confused in a dance class? Ninety-five percent of the content applies to women too. The kindle is now on sale for 99 cents (down from $5.99). Hurry while supplies last! (That’s a joke, kindle supplies are unlimited.)
* iBook ($5.99)
What’s in this website
- Hear the 8-count in music – an intro on how to hear the 8-count, which is the secret to hearing the beat
- How to Get Rhythm – all of the free instructional YouTube videos that go to my new music book, Hear the Beat, Feel the Music
- Freebie Video – the free instructional videos that go to my dance book, Every Man’s Survival Guide to Ballroom Dancing
- Blog category: Hear the Beat of music – a list of my blog posts on hearing the beat of music
- Blog – my blog
- “Counting Music“ – free chapter from my dance book
- “Slow Dancing“ – free chapter from my dance book
- “Surviving the Wedding Dance“ – free chapter from my dance book
- Learn to dance – a quick primer on learning how to partner dance [note to self: this page needs to be revised]
- Workout music – link coming soon!
- Biomusicology (or better living through music) — the biology and psychology of music–this is a new page, more content to come…
- My Story – get the scoop on me
- Contact – my email address, plus info if you need more help
This is me, Jim, your humble author and rhythm coach. I’m on a mission to teach people how to hear the beat of music, discover their natural rhythm and begin moving to music. If you want to get on my email list, write your email address on the back of a $20 bill and mail it to…kidding…just enter it here:
What people are saying
Every Man’s Survival Guide to Ballroom Dancing
- Midwest Book Review: “…a non-dancers crash course in understanding the basics of dance so they don’t look like a fool on the dance floor…”
- khan: “…He talks about things which are hardly touched in dance classes…”
- Gretechen: “This book is written for men, but women would find good information in this, too. It is packed with lots of practical suggestions. A must for all beginners.”
This book is for partner dancing (ballroom, swing and the Latin dances like salsa, cha cha, etc). Click on the Freebie Video link to see a Table of Contents.
Hear the Beat, Feel the Music
- [Please review this book on Amazon because I need reviews]
Who this book is for:
- All dance fitness (aerobics, Zumba, etc)
- People who work out to music
- All dancers, from ballet to hip hop to club dancing, even if you just dance alone in your kitchen when you do the dishes
- For anyone who wants to enjoy listening to music more
- Especially for the rhythmically challenged
Check out the web page for the book, HearTheBeatFeelTheMusic.com, which includes a Table of Contents.
A testimonial from a fitness instructor
Here’s the experience of Kendra P. who was training to be a fitness instructor:
“I stumbled upon your blog/website [ihatetodance.com] when I did a YouTube search for “counting 8 beats in music.” I recently attended a PiYo Strength Training (which is a fitness training) and the instructor told me to work on musicality. I have been a dancer my whole life, but somehow managed to memorize and rely on the lyrics, rather than listening to and “feeling” the music…silly, I know! I feel confident in the physical aspect of the teaching, but I was really uncomfortable with the counting beats portion. In a fitness class, it is very evident when the instructor does not know how to count to music…the class seems very choppy and feels like it doesn’t flow. I definitely didn’t want to be that instructor! I read through your website word for word and watched all of your videos and Skippy’s video. It has helped me so very much! I really appreciate you taking the time to write such a descriptive, detailed tutorial on dancing and music. My friend was telling me once the beats are pointed out, you will say, ‘oh, duh! Why didn’t I hear that before?!’ And it’s very true….after watching your videos and watching your hand motions, it’s so obvious now!”
Affiliate Note: iHateToDance.com and HearTheBeatFeelTheMusic.com have an affiliate partnership with Amazon so, if you use the Amazon links in these two websites, I receive compensation.
Copyright © 2012-2018 James Joseph. All rights reserved.